Since the crib is going I am assuming the rocking will go, too. We'll still have rocking chairs but at night we will lie in bed with Charley like we do Ryan. So, I thought about it being the "last time" we rock Charley before bed. We have been switching off where I rock Charley first and Pat lies with Ryan and then we switch. Tonight was special knowing it was probably one of the last times I'll ever rock her again. I was in less of a rush and just enjoyed her talking to me. I thought of the moments I've missed when I've wanted her to fall asleep faster so I could get on with what I need to do. Dishes, laundry, reading....as if those things were more important. Then, when I was in bed with Ryan I looked over at Pat rocking Charley and could barely contain my tears. I was reminded of all of the times when they were little babies and he would sit for hours holding them.
Charley has been consistently going to sleep in her crib without problems since we got back from vacation last week. She was more inconsistent prior to the vacation but we have been bribing her with a big girl bed if she goes to sleep without crying or needing us to come back in the room. Today was the day that her big girl bed arrived at Spraggins House and she ran to her room (knowing it was probably there) and threw herself on it. Her face was so very happy and a few minutes later she was lying on it and said excitedly "I love my big girl bed!" I guess all transitions will be like this...bittersweet. I'm so happy she's excited about growing up but heartbroken that in this way she will not be my little baby anymore.
All of that excitement about the crib for Ryan 5 years ago has come and gone and we are now in the next stage. The baby stage is gone already. People say it goes so fast and it does. I try to remember that and cherish the moments but too often life gets in the way and I just want to move on to the next thing for the day or on my agenda. I hope this milestone will be a reminder of how fast the time goes and for me to slow down and soak up all of the potential precious moments with these two little girls. I know I did tonight.
Changing subjects: Pat just said "You know what makes me sad? Not having my big screen t.v. at our new house."
Sigh....
KK
This just almost brought tears to MY eyes and I'm just the aunt! I remember the picture of baby Ryan (with that hair) in her crib for the first time. It was huge! Kristi and Pat, you were the best parents to them while they were babies...and you will be even better parents to them now that they've grown into little girls:)
ReplyDelete