Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Why It Is Best Not To Base Your Self-Esteem on How Your Children Feel About You

OK, this has to be quick because I was complaining to Pat that I can't get anything done and he said it was partly because I spend my time doing things like blogging and I disagreed by pointing out I that hadn't blogged in a month until R & C's recent birthdays.

Anyway...onto the topic at hand. A few quick quotes of Ryan's that will lead to understanding of what I meant by the title.

Monday night, the first night after we got back from NYC, I was playing her new Dora Matching Game with her. I had remembered one of the pieces and showed her and she said "Wow-Mommy you know everything." I savored that moment because that may be the first and last time she ever says or thinks such a thing. Today at breakfast we were just talking and she said "Mommy, I love you." Awww...I felt so good. I must be such a good Mommy and we will have a great relationship. Fast forward to this afternoon when she asked when Daddy would be home. I asked her why I wasn't good enough (just kidding of course) and she said because you are not my favorite. Daddy and Charley are my favorites and you are not. Well, that put me right back in my place. So, I pretended to be sad about that and she said "You are special...you are special to Charley and not me." I'm laughing as I type this. I think it's hilarious! So, hence my title for this post.

A few random bits....

Ryan and I were watching her new Baby Jesus video and it shows Mary and Joseph and various players before he was born. It showed a Roman or Egyptian (I'm not sure) building with some Egyptian-looking people and she said "Is that the King of Egypt?" I'm pretty sure that she may be brilliant and even better a Bible scholar. She's been learning about Moses and all of the related stories in Sunday School and Pharaoh Pharaoh is her favorite song but I thought it was pretty cute and smart that she could tell sort of what was going on. The only other Ryan comment is that when we got back from NYC she seemed to both Pat and me that she had grown up by a whole year or so. She seems so much more grown up. I don't know really how to describe it but she talks differently and her mannerisms seem a little different. Pat agrees. I'm noticing it less since we've been home a few days but she seemed like a different person.

Charley has been busy doing new things, too. She can push her lion toy and walk back and forth from the foyer to the dining room (with help turning it around). She likes to play with pretend dishes and utensils. She pretends to pour, stir, feed herself, and feed others (real and stuffed). She can put the coins in the piggy bank Aunt Ashley gave Ryan when she turned one. I just noticed that today. She was very quiet playing with it and would take her time turning the coin at the right angle to get it in the coin slot (ha!). She loves to say "Bubby" after her vacation there. She's been saying Bubby when she sees Pat. She still will eat anything in terms of finger food. Today she ate a little broccoli. She nods her head "no" when she doesn't want something. I remember when Ryan started doing that and it was so nice because you can show them something and they can tell you and save some time. So, if I think she may want some yogurt I'll show her the container and she will either grab for it or shake her head no. She is also doing like Ryan and when she sees things she makes a little grunt as if to acknowledge you see it too or to have us tell her what it is (I'm really not sure why she does it but you can tell she's trying to communicate with us).

Last night when I was rocking her I was thinking of the things I needed to do when she fell asleep but then it occurred to me that I will not have many more chances to rock my very own baby because she is growing so fast. I cannot believe the days of rocking babies will be over soon. Way too soon (but not so soon that I want another). So, I slowed my brain down and just appreciated getting to be in the dark, quiet, and warm room rocking my sweet baby in the furry chair with her furry soft blanket. She was laying with her head on my shoulder and her arms were by her sides and she was just limp and totally relaxed. She was in heaven and could have stayed there forever. I felt guilty that I was thinking of what I had to do next. Finally, I put her down and things too a turn for the worse. She's a clever little thing...she has zeroed in on the fact that I do not like vomit and when we leave her to cry after putting her down at night she will make herself vomit which then leads to new bath, bottle, and rocking. For some reason she doesn't do this in the middle of the night or naps. So, I got to appreciate the whole routine all over again:)

OK, gotta run. Will try to do better with my girlie updates!
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment