Monday, November 9, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday Charley Mae!!!

Happy 1st Birthday Charley Mae!

I cannot believe it's been a year. I remember last year like it was just yesterday. We were so excited for you to get here! I have so much I could say that I'll break it down into months....

Month #1 (November): We had the carpet runners installed on the stairs because we were afraid of slipping down the stairs while carrying you. This happened the first or second day I was home with you. I was so tired and we were holed up in the guest room downstairs. Later that week was Ryan's 2nd birthday. We took your picture with a birthday hat. Thanksgiving was later in the month and we ate at Gin Gin and Bubby's. I remember being so exhausted and thinking it was a great day because other people helped with you and Ryan. You slept in your carseat in the dining room during the meal. Rusty thought your carseat buckle was so funny because it was just about as big as you. I let myself relax and enjoy you the first few weeks. I took naps with you and cuddled with you and didn't worry about anything else in the world. It was glorious!!! You were precious.

Month #2 (December): Nana came to visit for a few days but her brother Jim died so she had to leave early. We took you and Ryan to Breakfast with Santa at the Presbyterian church and had pictures made with Santa. You went to Ryan's Christmas party at school, Christmas Eve church service, and the Winter Solstice party at the Lindblom's. You slept in the sling while I made
M & M cookie mix for Christmas gifts. I even breastfed you while you were hanging there and used both of my hands to make the mix-I felt like mother of the universe (or at least Africa). You didn't get that much for Christmas because really you didn't need anything. December was the month that the colic began. It began in the first or second week of December. Looking back it wasn't that bad. Up until it started we thought you were such an easy baby and we just bragged and bragged. We talked about how cool and calm we were the 2nd time around and that this produced this cool and calm baby. Your colic would start start around the time that Ryan fell asleep, which was around 7:30 or 8 p.m. and you would cry hysterically until 10, 11, or midnight. As you know, 7:30 or 8 is when I'm winding down. We thought it was good that you started crying at that time because Ryan still got good time with us before she went to bed (trying to look for the positives). We felt so sorry for you and wanted to make you feel better. It was hard! One night I was going to take a bath downstairs with candles and bubbles to relax. I came back upstairs and Daddy told me I couldn't do that again because I was able to calm you down better than he was (he doesn't remember this, of course). I was reading The Baby Whisperer in the tub and dropped it in the tub and now it's all crinkled from being wet. The crying was so intense that it was hard to deal with for even 30 minutes. You could hear it all over the house. Once I drove you around in the cold night because I couldn't take it anymore. It worked. I don't remember why I only did it one time. We gave you chamomile tea, which Dr. Moody said helped some babies. You took Axid and Mylanta. That reminds me (how could I forget?) that you had reflux and spit up ALL THE TIME HUGE AMOUNTS. We laid you on your tummy on our legs to help your tummy. We did bicycle legs. We bought lavender sleepy time bathwash and lotion. I gave you massages each night. I would put your towel and gown in the dryer and when you got out of the bath you were wrapped up in a warm towel and put in a warm gown. We started doing bath earlier in the day to see if that would help you because we thought baths might wind you up. We were trying to come up with any explanation so that we could fix it. But, time was the only thing that could fix it.

Month #3 (January): You went to Susan Barnett's New Year's Day part at the farm. I had been very relaxed about your health compared to Ryan's at this age. I took you out and about and let others hold you. This did not pay off as you ended up with a fever and having a spinal tap, strep culture, blood work, and being hospitalized with RSV. I was SO VERY THANKFUL that it was just RSV. Also so very thankful that Dr. Moody came to the hospital that night to do the spinal tap so the ER doctor did not have to do it. I think the colic ended at the end of January because I don't remember it going on when I started work in February. Leslie Humiston drove up from Little Rock to see you in the middle of the month. I had a surprise birthday party for Daddy at the farm. Gin Gin and Bubby kept you and Ryan. I was very nervous leaving you because you did still have colic as of the 23rd. Gin Gin was able to get you settled down eventually. It was nice to get out of the house and relax for a night.

Month #4 (February): This must have been one of the most stressful months of my life. Let's see. I went back to work. I had such a hard time leaving you. Ryan was left with Daddy until she was 9 months old so it was very hard leaving you with Mimi even though she loved you very much. I cut back from working 3 days to 2 days just so I could be with you more. I seriously considered selling Arbonne skincare and abandoning my career so I could be home with you. This caused a little turmoil between Daddy and me to the point he felt that it was the worst thing I had ever done to him if I pursued it. Mimi started having seizures right before I went back to work and I obviously didn't want to leave you with her where she could drop you. So, we packed up all of your things as well as Ryan's and sent you both to Nana Edward's house while I worked. I felt more comfortable with someone else there with you while Mimi took care of you. But, Nana fell the first week you all were there and my first week back to work and my plan fell through and you all returned home. Our dog, Madison/Ma Ma/Maddie Poo/The Poodle Doodle, had a stroke and was paralyzed for a few days before we had to put her to sleep. I have pictures of you with her. After she died I was upset because I didn't remember a picture with you but we did take a picture of her looking at you the day we brought you home from the hospital. Ryan had strep throat several times by February and I think this is when we pulled her out of Montessori school. I think February was the month that you had strep throat, too (something they say babies don't get-yeah, right). This is also the month, I think, where you stopped gaining weight adequately. It's an understatement to say this almost put me over the edge. This was the beginning of me doing headstands while trying to feed you because I would do anything to get you to eat 1/100th of an ounce. You had human milk fortifier in your bottles to add 4 calories per ounce. A couple of months later we figured out you didn't like the taste and when we stopped putting it in the bottle you actually drank more volume which was more calories. By the way, if we don't have a college account set up for you it is because that milk fortifier was so expensive. Nana and Papa came to visit this month and you really didn't want Nana to hold you and you preferred Papa-first Mulick grandchild to do such a thing. Uh oh-you appear to have your own mind. I'm not exactly sure but I think this was the month of my routine post-partum nervous breakdown when Lisa called and realized by my voice that I needed someone to talk to and she came over and provided support and Sonic for the afternoon. I was also sick with some kind of sinus infection during this month and had a couple of UTIs as well. I felt great physically to cope with all of the above.

Month #5 (March): Things were looking up except the Mulick Girls Trip was in Scottsdale and I didn't want to leave you. So, Daddy came along as your Nanny. You woke up with a slight fever and screamed bloody murder on the plane ride there. As we were sitting on the plane and I was glaring at Daddy like he was a mass baby murderer he said that you did just fine with just a little bit of crying. At that point the man next to us said you must like flying as much as his wife likes flying (proving my point that I was making by the look on my face that it wasn't going well). It was a great weekend except we left Ryan behind with what we initially thought was a virus (negative chest x-ray, two negative strep tests). While we were gone her fever spiked and it turned out to be strep. All in all, it was so nice for Daddy and me to spend time with you alone. We stayed at the Biltmore and it was beautiful. At this point you still didn't let Nana Mulick hold you much and you cried every time she tried to hold you. We arrived home to find out you had an ear infection. No wonder you were crying. Around this time we would go see Nana Edwards at Eagle Mountain in the mornings. She would give you your bottle and hold you while you slept. Ryan watched TV. I read magazines.

Month #6 (April): We started April out with a bang. I had my college reunion and you got to go to the picnic and have your picture taken in front of Veasey Hall. You won't live there because you will live in Rainey where the good girls lived (I don't think I ever stepped foot in there). That night Katee Castleman babysat you and Ryan in the hotel. I got you both ice cream pajamas at Gymboree that matched because Ryan was having her tonsils removed on Monday (to make her feel better of course). On Sunday, we went to lunch with all of my Hendrix friends and kids (your future roommates and spouse). We took all of your pictures together wearing Hendrix tee-shirts and the picture was in the Hendrix magazine in October. Gin Gin came to LR to stay with you in the hotel while I was at the hospital with Ryan and she stayed until we left to pick up Ryan on Tuesday morning. You, Gin Gin, and I slept together in the bed. You were still nursing ALL NIGHT LONG at this point. It wasn't bothering either of us. I would wake up and you would be attached eating off and on. It was great. It was so cozy to be curled up with you.

Month #7 (May): Daddy went on his Mulick Family Challenge trip. I don't even know where he went and I don't think I knew at the time either. All I remember is that he was expected home late on a Sunday night and he got delayed and had to take a red eye but didn't arrive until noon on a Monday. I had a massage scheduled for 1 p.m. You and Ryan did great. I took Ryan to Logan's birthday party and Gin Gin kept you. I took both you and Ryan to Lindsey's birthday party at Treasure Island. Ryan had a great time. Someone was holding you when Ryan and I went to the bathroom and she told me not to forget you when we left. She was watching out for her baby sister.

Month #8 (June): We had our Summer Solstice Party on the 21st. You were still in our bed at this time and having a harder time sleeping soundly. You were waking up often, before I went to bed, and wanting to nurse to return to sleep. Katee Castleman stayed for the party but you and Ryan were not too happy about that. I ended up in bed with you for part of the party. Gin Gin wanted you and Ryan to come to her house that day so we could get ready but I wanted you all to stay at home with us because I would miss you. I don't want to miss a minute of your life doing other things!! There will be plenty of time to do other things when you are grown and gone (or 13 and surly).

Month #9 (July): We went on a big summer vacation. We met the Hammers at the Oregon coast for a few days. You were so good and cute. You were pretty laid back and easy and didn't give us any trouble. The only trouble you gave us was the feeding, force feeding I should say. Thomasin said she couldn't imagine having every feeding being so difficult. This was your first trip to the beach. We had you wrapped up in Daddy's coat. Then, we went to Portland to stay with the Fouchers. You were really good there. I remember I had a Cliff Bar wrapper that you played with during one feeding and I thought I found the miracle. Alas, it lost its magic by the next feeding. Then, we returned to the coast for the Christison Family Reunion. All of your cousins were there. You were very good and well behaved. Just a perfect little baby. We returned home with your cousin Morgan who kept you and Ryan when Mommy and Daddy would work. You were slow to warm up to her (and anyone at that time) but you eventually were best buddies. Morgan was there when we put you in your pack-n-play and let you cry it out. It was so sad. It just about killed me.

Month #10 (August): Ryan resumed Montessori school and we started getting two days (until 3:00) to ourselves. It was nice to be able to play together uninterrupted. You liked the pool this summer and would hang out in the water with Mommy and Daddy. You would sleep on our shoulders under the umbrella-it was awesome.

Month #11 (September): I can't remember one thing about September.

Month #12 (October): You made your first trip to the pumpkin patch. You were a little scared of the pumpkins. When I put you by a big pumpkin you cried and wanted to be picked up. But by the end of our visit you were giving it hugs. You were a horse for Halloween (Ryan's horse from this age). You wore it to Lindsey's Halloween party but by Halloween we were over it and didn't dress you up. Daddy's student (Charli-a girl) that gave him the idea of the name Charley asked if you were a "Charley Horse". I was so irritated that we hadn't thought of that for the party. How clever. Maybe you will be one in later years. You also went to Ryan's school Halloween party for a little while. Nana and Papa came at the end of the month because you were baptized on November 1st. I left you alone (not alone...with Daddy and Ryan) for two nights to go to Beth Moore in Memphis. You did just fine. Daddy discontinued your Prevacid and you ate the most you had ever eaten. I would have never discontinued the Prevacid but you are fine. Daddy also took you and Ryan to Emma's birthday party. He's a Super Daddy!

November 2009: You were baptized on the first and it was a very special day. I hope you always put God first in your life and I pray that I will be a good example of this.

At one-year-old your personality seems to be mellowing out. A couple of months ago you had a hot temper. You rarely expressed it but watch out because when you did you went from 0 to 100 in about a nanosecond. Now, you just seem to be the typical one-year-old who gets frustrated and mad at various things including having something taken from you and having your diaper changed. You are VERY LOVING and affectionate. You will give everyone and everything hugs. You put toys up to your neck and pat them and say "awww." You give your family hugs alot. I think that in general you are going to feel your emotions strongly. If you are happy then you are HAPPY and if you are sad then you are SAD. There doesn't seem to be a lot of in between. (Don't worry...I'm the same way and you can learn to deal with it....it's the other people that will have more of a problem with it).

Here is what you are doing in different developmental areas:

EATING: You love finger food. You will put anything in your mouth and eat it. You see what we are eating and insist on eating it, too. This is different from Ryan. She was a pickier eater and didn't really care what we were eating and would be content with her own food. You have eaten alot of different things including: green beans, carrots, pears, bananas, chicken, peaches, cheese, pasta, lasagna, apples, and only the good Lord knows what else Mimi has given you. You don't love your bottles which is a good thing (now at least) because it will be easier to get you off of them.

MOTOR: You are more interested in crawling than trying to walk. You pull yourself up on things and walk along furniture while holding on but if I encourage you walk a step to me and put out my hands you lunge forward with your torso without moving your feet or you sit down and crawl. You've started standing without holding on for a couple of seconds this week. You made it halfway up the stairs the other day when I wasn't looking. You LOVE climbing up on things. Ryan wasn't as much of a climber. I think you may be a daredevil (like Gin Gin?....wait a minute....I described something else reminiscent of her earlier:)

LANGUAGE: Chatty Kathy...I mean Charley. You love to babble and make sounds. You are saying alot of different things. I think I've listed them before but here are the words you say....

Mama
Mommy
Dada
Bubu (trying to say Bubby I think)
Ry Ry Ruff Ruff (for dog)
BabyBye Bye (today Daddy left the room and you waved and said Bye Bye)
Wow
Whoa

SLEEP: Pretty good. You sleep mostly all night. The time change has messed you up a little bit. You are still sleeping in the pack-n-play in our sitting room and we'll probably wait until the new year to move you to the crib in Ryan's room. UPDATE: Since I started this book/blog post you have been sick and have resumed your tenure in our bed. You have had a difficult three nights. You haven't felt good but I hope tonight is better for you. I can't stand it when you don't feel good or aren't happy. My heart literally feels like it's breaking. It hurts.

MISC: You love the "Wheels on the Bus" song and get the book and hand it to us and make demanding sounds until we sing it. When you don't have the book you do the "round and round" motion with your hands and dance. You love to dance and love the song Pharoah Pharoah. You like to listen to the songs from Dora and Diego. You dance when they come on. You have watched more TV than your sister did which is I guess typical for the second child. But, when you are a teenager you better not try to do the things that she might be doing. And Ryan better not be doing the things I was doing. There-we'll all be fine.

So Charley Mae, those are all of the little details and highlights I can remember from the past year. The most important thing you need to know about the first year of your life is how much I love you (and so do your Daddy, sister, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and Mimi). Actually even more important than that is that you need to remember how much God loves you-more than you could ever imagine. He created you and knew even before you were born that He wanted to put you in our family. I am so thankful He chose us to be your parents. He has a plan for your whole life and you just have to listen to Him and follow Him, even when it's hard. There will be difficulties and they will not be surprises to God so you can rest assured He will get you through them (I'm just learning this and apparently I'm learning disabled in this area but I'm a hard worker:). You'll mess up alot and that's OK-He knows you will and He will be waiting to help you get back on track. I pray that you will know and love God and follow Him and know the peace that you can have with Him ALWAYS. I'll try to help you along this path without being too "over the top" as I am prone to be.

Happy 1st Birthday Charley Mae,
I Love You-Mommy

P.S. To my loyal followers, please post a response of your best or favorite or most memorable memory of Charley from her first year.

1 comment:

  1. My most memorable moment has to be the night you arrived into this world! I was trying to decide whether to drive down to Little Rock from Fayetteville...thinking she won't be here THAT quick. I remember Daddy calling me about 1:45 a.m. as I was coming home from a fun night on the town (explain later) and Dad said "she's here!" I couldn't believe it and I couldn't believe I missed it eiter! After sleeping just 5 hours I was on the road before 8 to come see you. I was SO excited! It was so fun to get to spend those first hours with you...something I didn't get to do with Ryan. You were an angel! I even took pictures of you and sent them to your future Uncle Aaron!

    Happy First Birthday!! I wish I could of been there...love you!

    Love,

    Aunt Ashley

    ReplyDelete