Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tonsils, Prim, Private Parts, Pancakes, and Pictures

I've been meaning to post since my last post over a week ago but never have the time. It's taken multiple sessions to actually complete this. As you can see the day says Thursday--that is the day I started. But, it's actually Saturday morning that I finished. I'll recap the last week. I'm going to start adding pictures to my posts so at the bottom I have a few from the last few weeks......

So.....last Friday we took Ryan to Arkansas Children's Hospital to meet with Dr. Key the Ear, Nose, & Throat specialist. Without even looking at her, he said she needed her tonsils out based on how many times she has had strep throat. We are scheduled for April 6th. They warned us that it will not be pleasant for a week or two. But, we both feel like this is definately the right thing to do and there is no other option. Everyone at the hospital was great--they had volunteers in the waiting room and they gave Ryan a fabric doll with markers to color on it. She got two bracelets and a writing toy after the appointment. Before the surgery, they will have Child Life specialists play with her while we talk to the doctors. She will already be somewhat sedated from gas (they call it something fun...I can't remember) before she gets her IV and before they take her from us. The entire procedure should only last 20 minutes. Pat will spend the night with her and I'll stay at a hotel with Charley. I wanted to stay with her but Pat thought since he is usually the one that goes to get her in the night when she cries it would be best if it were him. Also, Charley nurses in the night so it would be best for her to stay with me. Gin Gin and Bubby will come stay with Charley at the hotel while I stay at the hospital all day.

After the appointment, Ryan napped in the car and Pat stayed in the car with her while I went to Julie's house to visit. Then, when Addie woke up we all went to the Wonderplace. Ryan had lots of fun as usual. Then, we drove home.

Saturday, we loaded up and went to Prim for Charley's 3 month pictures (at 4.5 mos). We got some great ones and we also got some unplanned, spontaneous, AWESOME pictures of both of them. So, once again we spent more money than we planned but they are only little once! That afternoon we ALL went to our new offices in the Sears building. Yes, who wouldn't want to see a psychologist located in the Sears building on the busiest road in a small town right next to a salon where everyone can see you walking in? Great idea! I unpacked some boxes and arranged furniture so that when I got to work on Wednesday it wouldn't look awful for my clients. Charley spit up so many times that she was wearing Ryan's shirt (Ryan was still wearing the dress from the pictures). Charley spit up again and she had to go home shirtless. It was cold outside. We wonder why they both get sick all of the time.

Sunday was pretty uneventful. Grocery shopping, grocery game, and visit to Nana's.

I was home with them both on Monday and Tuesday. I can't remember any details other than I was concocting things to be anxous about in my head and doing a great job of believing my concoctions. Ryan wanted to make snowmen and we cut out snowmen parts and she drew on them. They are hanging on the wall right now. She drew an actual face with eyes, nose, and mouth in the correct places.

Wednesday, Joe Ann was sick so Pat and I juggled the morning going to and from work and Gin Gin kept them both from 12:30 to 6. This is the first time she kept them both and they were really good. I was secretly hoping for it to be a little stressful so that she would know how hard my life was. No such luck!

I stayed home Thursday and it was a great day. They were both so easy and Ryan listened so well. We saw Dr. Moody and Charley gained 1 oz more than she wanted--YEAH Charley!!! I think we figured out she doesn't like the human milk fortifier because she will drink more volume without it (which is actually more calories....and much more inexpensive). Ryan was negative for strep--YEAH Ryan. On this day, Ryan wanted me to pick her up and throw her in the air. I told her she had to wait for Daddy to get home because I was not strong enough. She said "of course you are strong Mommy."

Daddy kept them Friday while I worked. I will try to tell the following story as delicately as possible because it must be told. Daddy was going to the bathroom and Ryan was watching the procedure unfold. She asked "What's that?" Daddy told her the proper name for the body part and Ryan repeated the name and asked "Me see it?" Daddy explained it was a private part and that girls have "correct anatomical word inserted here" and boys have "correct anatomical word inserted here" and you don't show them to people. Ryan said "OK...go play..." and went on with her playing. We are using the correct anatomical terms so that they don't think there is something wrong with their bodies. This was not done for me which is why I cannot insert the actual words of these body parts into this post even though there is nothing wrong with actually saying them. Gin Gin has already said she is embarrased by my blog--I wonder what she thinks now?

So, it is Saturday morning and we don't have much planned. I smell pancakes downstairs. Daddy makes Ryan Mickey Mouse pancakes on weekends with M&Ms as the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Below are the pictures I promised....

Below is Charley playing on the playmat and Ryan stopping playing to pose for the camera....


Below is Ryan and Charley playing...
Below is Charley playing on the playmat. She loves it!
Below is Charley at her first and last Girls' Weekend with all of her aunts and Nana....
Below are pictures from Nana and Papa's visit in February....




Below is a picture of Ryan when she wanted to go out and play in the snow...she was sick and couldn't go outside but she went ahead and got dressed all by herself. I think she's missing something...
Below is Precious Charley after her bath.....
Below is a picture of Ryan with a mohawk. Hopefully this isn't foreshadowing her teenage or young adult years...

One last thing--I know that my family reads this and I'm not sure why they don't comment.....I wish they would so I'd feel like a real blogger....but also the comments would be preserved forever in the archives of The Adventures of Ryan and Charley.
Happy Weekend!
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment