Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bye Bye Tonsils!

Ryan had her Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy procedure on Monday, April 6th. I can't believe we made it to that date without strep or illness. Once again the pictures are reversed-I meant to start at the beginning but am starting with today...

Below is Ryan with the bunny that Aaron and Ashley gave her. Aaron was sweet enough to bring it by the hotel the night before. She had a little fit when he left because she wanted him to take it for some reason. We told her he brought it for her. She opened the door and was crawling in the hall screaming "Aaaaaron....take my bunny with you." She LOVES it. You never know what kids will latch onto and this is one of those things. She was crying because she didn't want me to take her picture but Ashley wanted me to send one to Aaron. She's been lying on the couch alot watching Dora, Go Diego Go, Calliou, and Clifford. Behind her is the juice we force her to drink.

Below is Ryan with her balloons from the Seattle Mulicks and stuffed animal and the balloon from MiMi with Boots attached (that is Dora's sidekick). Katee brought her a balloon, 2 books, paints, a coloring book, and sidewalk chalk, too. She felt well enough last night to go write on the porch with the sidewalk chalk. That was after I took her temp and it was in the high 103s. After Daddy had to cancel his last appointment and Gin Gin left work for the emergency only to find out it was 101.3 rectally (meaning 100.3). Yes, I said rectally on the blog. Twice.

Below are pictures from her "room" after the surgery and recovery. Notice her constant companion. She looked so sweet in the hospital p.j.s. Look at her poor arm all wrapped up with the IV. She HATED that but adapted well considering her dislike of all things tight.



Below is a picture of her after the Versed (the sedation drug that makes you forget). They gave it to her about 15 minutes beforehand and called it "Goofy Juice." Pat and I were just waiting for it to kick in. Then, it was clear it had when she looked at her feet in amazement and said excitedly: "Look...my feet!!" Pat and I were laughing so hard because it was obvious she was high and then she started laughing just as hard but did not know why she was laughing. We all continued to laugh and I'll never forget her drunken little face laughing while looking down with her hair falling all over her face. Then she looked at Pat's chair and said "purple...no Daddy sit on purple." Pat told her that now she knows what college is like. Next they came to put her in the bed to wheel her off. She had her bunny and you can see she has the stickers they gave her. When they wheeled her away, she looed at me and said "night night." Didn't care at all to be carried away by strangers. Once they got to the OR she had gas and was asleep before they did the IVs which was good.
When Dr. Key came out to tell us everything was OK he said he looked over at her bed and saw the big bunny and thought it might be bigger than her.
Reminder that the picture below is after the drugs....I apparently had alot to say in between that caption and the actual picture...


Next step was recovery. No pictures of this because she wasn't feeling well. We walked in and she was crying hysterically and the nurse was holding her. She wanted her IV and pulse-ox taken off. I took her but she wanted Pat which did not make me feel very good about myself but it wasn't about me was it? She screamed and screamed. They had to keep giving her morphine. She finally fell asleep and the nurse thought she'd wake up much better. No such luck. We moved her to her room and she woke up just as unhappy. Her new nurse gave her alot more morphine and said it was probably pain. I asked if it could be anaesthesia because we had been told it would cause this but she didn't think so. After it went on for a while, she decided it was anaesthesia. Below are some pictures from her "room" if you can call it that. It was a tiny, glassed in area without a window or phone. We had curtains for privacy.

Below are some pictures from the pre-op room before the drugs...notice again her frequent companion...Again-I would have put these at the beginning if I hadn't messed up. So, if you are confused by the order sorry. Because I'm so obsessive I was going to do this again-but no time. It bugs me that they aren't in order...



As far as other cute details, Aaron's mom came by (and Aaron too) the hospital. She brought her an adorable Easter basket with candy that Ryan was not allowed to eat. Ryan cried about this and we told her that she had to feel better before she could eat it. She said "me feel better now."
Yesterday (I think) she woke up and you could tell she didn't feel well. She said "me feel no very better." Awww, how sad....
Well I hope that was enough details for everyone reading this. Daddy implied (did not say aloud) that I report too many details. I can't help it.
Off to enjoy a few minutes of silence (meaning only one child awake instead of two).
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment