Friday, May 1, 2009

Tee-Too-Ta


It's been a LOOOONG time since I blogged. 10 days to be exact. Not much going on but a few cute stories about my muses. BTW-Daddy-one definition for muse is "a source of inspiration" (Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary). Not sure about the plural of muse but muses gets the point across.

1. When we ask Ryan the name of something like a stuffed animal or the name of someone she doesn't know, she consistently says the name is Tee-Too-Ta. Where did that come from? Who knows-that's the great thing about 2-year-olds. She and Daddy found a caterpillar last week and got on the Internet and learned how to keep it. So, it's in a jar in her room with dirt, leaves, and stems. The first night it built a cocoon, which is really cool. I remember having caterpillars but don't really remember if I kept them in a jar. I don't remember seeing them make cocoons. I do remember that our 4th grade class kept them in pencil boxes in Mrs. Cothran's filing cabinet. Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to it turning into a butterfly (or moth as the Internet says it can). I didn't know moths started as caterpillars. I hope it doesn't die as a butterfly before we let it out! But, my point was that she named the caterpillar Tee-Too-Ta.


2. It's fun having a 2-year-old who is interested in and learning EVERYTHING...like caterpillars. She asks "why?" about everything. And, "what's that?" So, it's fun to slow down and pay attention to things that we don't notice because we are so busy. Like caterpillars. And ladybugs (we saw both at Doug's nursery). Today she was asking me what kind of birds were in our backyard. She's asking the wrong person. But, it makes me slow down and wonder more about the things in the world we live in. Another example is that we were at the Heritage House earlier in the week and Ryan was playing with some fake food. She had a red object and I told her I thought it was an apple. She thought it was a strawberry. I told her to ask Gin Gin to be sure I wasn't misleading her. It was a red pear. I had never heard of that!! She's in trouble if I'm supposed to be teaching her about the world. Her questions already stump me. I thought this didn't happen until 4th or 5th grade. I also don't know alot of the animals....she knows about jaguars, chinchillas, and pumas. What? I guess the television does have some good points. The other day she asked me what the frame of the swing set was. It wasn't a hard question but it took me a minute to think about it and figure out how to describe it in a way she would halfway understand. Really not a hard concept but embarrassingly, it was a little hard for me. So anyway, so far I'm enjoying the questions and the whys? But, I hear that will become old one day. Hopefully not soon....

3. We were at Nana's and Ryan was looking in Nana's handheld mirror and said "WOW....cute!" I guess we don't have to worry about her self-esteem at this point. Check.

4. The last two nights that I came home from work Molly Mouer was here playing with Ryan. She was SO SO excited. The first night she came running into the kitchen yelling "new friend! new friend! new friend!" and wouldn't stop until I came in the playroom to see her. Last night I came home and she came running in the kitchen yelling "best friend" with Molly. It was so cute. It's great to have older children around that enjoy playing with her and by playing I mean doing what she says.


5. Charley, Charley. She is doing so well. Mimi wrote on her notes that she was a joy. And she is. She is so good for the most part. The only time she isn't is when she's been ignored for several hours (not really but when she has been playing alone for a while). The only issue with her and by issue I mean me is that she is still sleeping in our bed. We are coming up on the date that Ryan moved to her OWN ROOM and OWN CRIB and SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT. Charley is right next to me and last night nursed at least 5 times (3 hours, 3 hours, 1 hour, 1 hour). I really don't care. I don't care that I'm exhausted. I don't want her to grow up. I want her to stay a baby. This is going too fast. She is almost 6 months old. Which means Ryan is almost 2 1/2. Which means a half-year has gone by and it seems like two weeks. They are going to graduate from high school before I know it. Back to Charley, she can roll over pretty well from her back to tummy. She LOVES Ryan. She splashes EVERYWHERE in her bath. I have to change clothes after her bath because I'm soaked. She eats very well now with no problems. Reflux seems MUCH better. She can sit up on her own for a few seconds before falling.

6. Since #5 was about Charley I am going to continue my rant about them growing up too fast. Everybody says enjoy this because it will go by so fast. Our new neighbor came over and said she remembers vividly when her two kids (both college age) were this age and it seemed like yesterday. How could that happen? So, when the noise, mess, crying, whining, and chaos drive me nuts, I imagine the quiet house that we will will have one day and appreciate every little crazy-making detail about our lives right now. It's wonderful!!

7. Along the same lines as #6, Ryan will start pre-school this fall and go 5 halfdays. They don't have a 3 day option. That makes me SO SAD. It means no more lazy days in our pajamas making roads out of tape on the floor, making castles out of Arbonne boxes, and grinding play-dough into the carpet. She'll get home from school and have to take a nap. I will probably also put Charley in Mother's-Day-Out in the fall. Which means I'll have one halfday to myself again. As much as that sounds enticing, it really seems sad.
8. My efforts to teach Ryan about God are moving slowly. Last weekend I went to a Christian bookstore. I rented her a video called Prayer Bears. It was decent but not life changing. She really wanted to watch Dora but after two days of refusing Prayer Bears and the due date approaching I told her she had to watch it if she wanted to watch anything. I also bought her a book. I asked her if she wanted a special book about God when I went to the Christian bookstore. She said she didn't and that she wanted a book on doggies. They didn't have a book about doggies and God (although I did tell her that dog is God spelled backwards as I try to get a lesson in every chance I get-even though that really isn't a lesson it further reinforced Pat's idea that I'm shoving this down her throat and it may backfire on me). So, I perused the children's section and chose a book that I would think most toddlers/pre-schoolers would enjoy. A children's book about the trinity. She really seemed to like it in the car...it had some very simple pictures that were fun to look at. I was surprised by her lack of interest halfway through the book when she said "no me like this one." It described God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit as an apple that has the peel, flesh, and core. It's the same apple. It's one apple. But, there are three parts to the one apple. Pat suggested that maybe I should not have chosen a topic that even Christian scholars have difficulty understanding. Maybe he's right. We'll just stick with the concept that God and Jesus are here but we can't see them.
9. Last Friday night we went to Josie's with the Wardens. It was so fun because they have outdoor seating and outdoor play equipment. It was especially fun because Daddy and Kirk did the playing on the equipment while Michelle, Charley and I got to relax at that table. When Logan and Ryan get a little older they won't need as much assistance and maybe we can all relax.
10. Last Saturday morning, Ryan got her first haircut. It needed to be done forever ago. It is so cute. It's a little bob. She looks so much older. She got a certificate and I kept some of her hair.

This is a quote from an email from Pat. All of my followers have already seen and read it. But, Ryan will enjoy this later when she is a pro-golfer and I lying in a hammock sipping a mojito (I don't even like those but it sounds pretty relaxing). Pat said: "Just wanted to pass along this photo of Ryan on her first golf outing. She came to the course with me yesterday and we played four holes. Actually, I played four holes and Ryan ate raisins. She is an excellent resource to have on the course. She said, "Daddy hit that real far" after every shot. If I missed a putt she would run over and pick it up and put it in the hole. She tried to hit a few putts herself, but she got frustrated and said, "Me just throw it." I told her I knew the feeling."
Well, that's it. R & C have BOTH been asleep for 35 minutes (R asleep about an hour). Probably should do something productive.
KK

No comments:

Post a Comment