Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thursday, July 16th through Monday, July 20th

Phases 4, 5, & 6 (Cannon Beach, OR, back to Portland, and travel day back to Arkansas, respectively)....

Below: Nana and Ryan playing on the beach...it's out of order...


Below is the best family picture from the cookout in Tillamook (and also out of order)...

Below: Ryan and me on the carousel in Seaside before the Friday night family reunion dinner


Below: Charley in her stroller at the carousel in Seaside

Below: Daddy and Ryan riding a train in Seaside...


Below: Daddy and Ryan in Seaside...


Below: Maddie and Charley at the condo...


Below: The girl cousins hangin' on the bed (Charley, Carley, Maddie, & Ryan)...


At the farm in Tillamook on Saturday night...





So on Thursday morning we loaded up the van AGAIN and headed back to the coast, this time to Cannon Beach, Oregon, which is really just about 10 miles from Seaside. We left Portland around 11 a.m. and arrived at our condo around 1:00. Our room wasn't ready so had another meal at Pig-N-Pancake (Cannon Beach had one too). We met Happy and Ron and their two daughters, Kelly and Stephanie (Happy is Jeanne Mae's sister). Mike (Mulick) was also there with his three kids. So all of us headed to lunch. It was pretty uneventful except at the beginning Ryan wanted to sit at the end of the table with all of the kids. That lasted about 3 minutes and she ended up back with us. Pat likes to tell the story that by the end of the trip she was eating with all of the kids. Ha....that's like the story of when we were in Atlanta on Christmas Eve and we had to "sprint" to get to the restaurant before a huge group of people...the only thing was, none of us but Pat remember having to sprint.
That afternoon we all hung out on the lawn that was right next to the beach. I think (but can't exactly remember) that Ryan played in the sand for a little while. Charley fell asleep and slept in the shade of a chair on a blanket. Everyone grilled hot dogs that night but Charley was tired and I took her upstairs for bath and bed just as the fun was getting started. By dinnertime the rest of the Mulicks were there and Joanne's family. Ryan stayed for a while and then Pat brought her up to bed and he went back down.

On Friday morning we went to breakfast at-where else? Pig-N-Pancake- with Carley. We woke up and opened our door and she was sitting in the breezeway drawing because the rest of her family was asleep. Ahhhh, when will those days start for us? We got back and Ryan went to the beach for several hours with Nana. She had a great time. I wish I had better pictures than the few I took with my phone. Nana came to our room and told Ryan they would go buy a bucket and shovel and Ryan left with her without a problem. We were watching them from the room and they were all over the beach. Ryan must have worn Nana out. They built sandcastles, played in the water, and covered their feet and hands with sand. Ryan came back to the room covered in sand, had a bath, and took a nap.
On Friday night there was a dinner at the Shilo Inn with all of the family. I hadn't met alot of them because the night before I had to take Charley back to the room. Ryan was very overwhelmed by all of the noise. I took her outside just to sit on the bench in the quiet. While we were out there she wanted to close the doors going into the party because you could still hear and see the chaos. Later in the night she had her fingers in her ears and asked to go outside and "take a rest." They had a slide show of pictures from all of the families that were there as well as old pictures from grandparents and great-grandparents. We all went back to the condo to bed but some people stayed out by the bonfire until 1 a.m. No one with my blood coarsing through them would ever do such a thing.

On Saturday morning, Ryan played on the beach with Aunt Dana. She was out there for a couple of hours and never seemed anxious about it. Amazing!! Ryan came back, took a bath, took a nap, and then we were were picked up by a big charter bus and driven to Tillamook for a seafood cookout (fresh shrimp, crab, clams, fish). It was at Tim and Shanna's house (Tim is Jeanne Mae's brother Jim's son). He runs a fishing business where people pay to come stay in their bunkhouse, he does fishing tours, and his wife does the cooking. It was the perfect setting. Ryan got to see chickens and ride in a little carriage being pulled behind a pony.
Other notable happenings: As expected Charley really didn't let anyone hold her. She would let people hold her for a few seconds before screaming for me or Pat. Ryan, though, had a great time with her cousins. She really liked Maddie-I think because she was the littlest. Before we left Ryan saw her picture in the family calendar and said she wanted to play with her on the vacation. I was so happy she was having a good time, being outgoing, and not being anxious or clingy. We thought she'd love the bus ride so Pat drove Charley separately in case we had to leave early. I rode on the bus with Ryan and she decided to impersonate me as a young child (and possibly my 37-year-old self). She sat in my lap and wouldn't talk or make a facial expression when others talked to her. When everyone was singing the wheels on the bus song (which she knows the words and hand motions) she stared into space with her arms straight out and her fingers hanging down like a zombie. She wanted some chips that Carley and Justin were eating across the aisle from us. She would say "chips" to me in a whiny, pathetic, timid voice instead of saying "can I have some chips?" in her normal voice. They were nice enough to give them to her even though she wasn't asking them. Nana came and sat with us and Ryan still acted like she had the worst case of social anxiety in history otherwise know as how her mother acted/acts. But thankfully, when we got to the farm she had a great time.

In an earlier post I foreshadowed the only other notable event I can think of. Remember? Well, it involved me, Charley, a stroller, and a near-disaster experience with traffic. We were having a lovely stroll back to the condo after one of our breakfasts. Apparently, we were on an incline but at the time I didn't realize that. I stopped to look at some flowers and took my hands off of the stroller and turned sideways. After I was done peacefully gazing at God's creation and marveling at His wonder I turned to see the stroller carrying Charley careening down the sidewalk toward traffic and crash into a parked car which left half of the stroller on the curb and the other half on the street. We ran to the stroller (because it was a horrifying sight not because we thought she was hurt because it really wasn't that far...but the thought of what could have happened if the parked car wasn't there) and raised the canopy and she gave us a huge smile. Apparently she may be a little thrill-seeker and risk-taker. So, as I said before you would have thought I would have learned my lesson on the escalator but I had to have one more lesson to really drill into my head that I don't need to take my hands off of the stroller and I don't need to take the stroller on moving staircases. (Note: careening may be an exaggeration). It seems if I look back through my life one lesson is never quite enough.

So, I think that finishes up Phase 4 of the 6 Phase trip.

Phase 5 was traveling back to Portland and spending the night at the Embassy Suites before Phase 6 which was flying back to Arkansas and then driving to Batesville. I can't think of anything remarkable about the last two phases of the trip. So, now I can rest. Didn't God say something about resting after blogging about the first 6 phases?

KK



















































































No comments:

Post a Comment